We will spend 13 days in Costa Rica exploring the ecology of its mountain and coastal environments. Our days will be full of activities: while hiking, zip-lining, whitewater rafting, kayaking, snorkeling, doing "sky walk" canopy tours, going on boat tours, or visiting different national parks, we will see and learn about the biodiversity and ecosystems of Costa Rica. The natural environment will be our classroom as we explore the natural history, ecology, and evolutionary history of the fauna and flora of this amazing country. All logistics, payments, and trip details are under the coordination of AIFS, a leading provider in study abroad services since 1964.
Departure date: Monday, July 29, 2019
Return date: Sunday, August 11, 2019
This is our planned itinerary:
(see map below)
Day 1 - with an overnight in San José
• Orientation with staff
Days 2 and 3 - with overnights in Tortuguero
• Boat transfer to hotel
• Canal tour and entrance to the National Park and hiking with an experienced local, English-speaking
Day 4 - with overnights in Sarapiqui
• Zip-lining with local guides.
• Whitewater rafting with local guides.
Days 5 and 6 - with overnights in Arenal
• Entrance to the hot springs.
• Kayaking with local guides.
• Visit La Fortuna Waterfall
Days 7 and 8 - with overnights in Guanacaste
• Entrance to the Rincon de la Vieja National Park
• Snorkeling with local guides.
• Boat trip to Palo Verde National Park
Days 9 and 10 - with overnights in Monteverde
• A “Sky Walk”.
• Entrance to the Cloud Forest reserve.
• Tree planting in the reserve.
• Lecture from a local environmental expert.
• Canopy tour.
Days 11 and 12 - with overnights in Manuel Antonio.
• Rain Forest Adventure Park.
• Manuel Antonio National Park with a local guide.
• Crocodile Safari.
Day 13 - with an overnight in San José
• Visit to Sarchí.
• Visit to a coffee plantation with tasting.
• Farewell dinner with traditional Costa Rican music and dancing.
Day 14 - Departure